Man Dies and Two Others Feared Missing

By NewsRoom24 on March 11th, 2014 / Views
Please Share to friends

The coastguard received a call at about 14:00 GMT reporting a man in the water and an overturned boat at Ness Point. The man was pulled from the water by Lowestoft lifeboat but, despite efforts to revive him, was pronounced dead at 3pm. He has been taken to the James Paget University Hospital. The coastguard said a search for two other people possibly on board would continue overnight.

Man dies and two others feared missing

Coastguard rescue co-ordinator Peter Byatt said the 18ft (5.5m) speedboat had been recovered. The coastguard, RNLI lifeboat crews, a police helicopter and an RAF search and rescue helicopter were called out after a man and an overturned boat were spotted in the sea near Ness Point at about 2pm today. A major search and rescue operation was launched after it was feared two further people had been on board the capsized boat and were still missing.

A search launched off the coast of Lowestoft this afternoon has been resumed after it was stood down earlier this evening. A Humber Coastguard spokesman said the search is likely to wrap up and stand down between midnight and 12.30am. She said officials will discuss the next course of action at a handover meeting at 7.30am tomorrow, admitting the likelihood of survival was “dwindling”.

The Lowestoft RNLI lifeboat was called out and rescued the casualty from the water between the South Pier and the Claremont Pier. The lifeboat crew administered first aid before transferring the man to the ambulance service.
Police are working to trace his next of kin and are also making enquiries to determine if he was on a boat that capsized and, if so, whether there was anyone else on board the vessel.

A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service (EEAST) said, “Several resources were sent to the scene following reports that a man had been found in the water. Critical care paramedics and EEAST crews provided advanced life support to the man after he was pulled from the water. Unfortunately despite the best efforts of everyone involved, including the RNLI who provided initial life support, the man was pronounced dead. Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this tragic time.”

All ambulance resources have been stood down from the scene.

Please Share to friends

Facebook Comments