England, News

Briton dies from rabies after being bit by feral cat

By Jayden Louise on November 12th, 2018 / Views
Please Share to friends

A warning has been issued by Public Health England

A warning has been issued by PHE to warn all UK holidaymakers if you are bitten or scratched by any animals abroad wash the wound with hot soapy water and seek medical treatment. This comes after a Briton has contracted rabies after being bitten by a rabid cat in Morroco.

Dr. Ramsey head of immunizations at public health England has said: “This is an important reminder of the precautions people should take when traveling to countries where rabies is present.”

Rabies is a rare but serious infection of the brain and nerves, usually caught from bites or scratches of infected animals. Once symptoms occur in 99% of cases it is fatal. Rabies is not spread through people or unbroken skin. The only animal in the UK that carries rabies is a wild bat called Daubenton there has only been one recorded case of someone catching rabies from those bats.

PHE have stated there is no risk to the wider public in regards to this case but health workers family and friends in connection to the deceased have been vaccinated. Public health England has suggested anyone traveling to known rabies infested countries get vaccinated before traveling. Three doses of the vaccination are usually given, the vaccine is very effective almost 100% of the time.

Please Share to friends

Facebook Comments